A study on what activities and things nerds, geeks and dorks engage in. Click here for more information on the blog's purpose

Thursday, August 7, 2008

About

This is, of course, a blog about nerds, geeks, and dorks - or as I sometimes called them ngd's or engeedees.

I know there is a difference between the three, but for the purpose of this blog, we will not dwelve into that. For those of you curious, here are some links...

The Rawness: Nerds, Geeks and Dorks: A Primer
Ask Yahoo: What's the difference between a nerd, a geek, and a dork?
Ask Metafilter: What's the difference between a geek, a nerd and a dork?

OkCupid test to see if you're a nerd, geek, or dork
A test from NerdTests.com to see how much of a nerd, geek and dork you are

This blog will hopefully be a study on what activities and things engeedees engage in. And although it is called Dorktivities, it will study the activities of nerds, geeks and dorks.

This column was inspired the blog, Stuff White People Like. But I didn't want to write just about the stuff engeedees like. Then I found the blog, Mantivities! A blog about "activities that Men do".

Then I knew what my blog needed to be. I kind of considered it a companion or sister blog to Mantivities. While Mantivities covers what Manly Men do, my blog will cover what the other men do.

I have to admit, I don't know how often I will be posting on here. I already have a regular blog I do and two "irregular" blogs associated with it. Plus, my Twitter account.

But I feel this is a blog that needs to be done, so I'm open to submissions. Feel free to send your new and old descriptions of activities that nerds, geeks, and dorks engage in. If you want to get an idea of what I'm looking for, check out our sister blog, Mantivities. But your entries can be longer. But I prefer entries NOT take longer than 10 minutes to read.

Also, if you do submit, I will be happy to put your name under the title - though you can be anonymous if you like - and provide a link to any of your websites. And all the writers will be listed on the side with a link to whatever sight they'd like to be linked to.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me at oldermusicgeek(at)yahoo(dot)com!

If you wish to know more about engeedees - nerds, geeks and dorks - I recommend the following...

Books:
Kick Me: Adventures In Adolescence by Paul Feig
American Nerd by Benjamin Nugent
Nerds: Who They Are and Why We Need More of Them by David Anderegg

DVD's:
Freaks And Geeks
Big Bang Theory
Square Pegs
Lucas
Superbad
Napoleon Dynamite
Mean Girls
Joan Of Arcadia
Dexter's Laboratory
The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius
Chuck
Never Been Kissed
The Fairly OddParents
Glee


CD's
Violent Femmes by Violent Femmes
My Aim Is True by Elvis Costello
Talking Head 77 by Talking Head
More Songs About Building And Food by Talking Heads
Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo! by Devo
The Presidents Of The United States Of America by The Presidents Of The United States Of America
The Presidents Of The United States Of America II by The Presidents Of The United States Of America
Gordon by Barenaked Ladies
Any cd by They Might Be Giants

If you have any suggestions for this list, feel free to send them to me at oldermusicgeek(at)yahoo(dot)com.

No comments:

Post a Comment